Candle Safety & Information

At Nutty Crafts we only use soy wax which has been enhanced with carefully selected botanical oils that add to their performance characteristics. The wax we use contains no petroleum, paraffin or beeswax products and is 100% vegetable based.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is Soy Wax?

Soy wax is a vegetable wax made from the oil of soybeans.  The manufacturing process dramatically alters the melting point of the oil, making it a solid at room temperature.  However this also means that is has a lower melting point, which means that it is possible for candles to melt in warmer weather, making them more suited to container candles.

What are the benefits?

Soy's greatest advantage is that it is completely renewable. While the global reserves of oil shrink and paraffin prices increase, the only limit to the soy supply is how much we choose to grow.  In addition to sustainability, a well-made soy candle will burn cleanly and slowly.  This creates much longer lasting candles, with no petrol-carbon soot which can blacken walls and ceilings.  Another great benefit to soy wax is that it is biodegradable, and spillages can be easily cleaned up with soap and warm water.

A number of people advertise the fact that soy wax is more environmentally friendly than other types of wax.  While some people believe this to be true, the carbon footprint created by being shipped to the UK from USA will likely counter any environmental benefit.

It doesn't look perfect, like shop candles

This is called frosting or bloom.  This is a natural characteristic of the wax, and sometimes causes uneven adhesion to the container.  This is strictly unique to soy wax, and is a way to tell if your candle has been made using 100% soy wax.  It is almost impossible to prevent this frosting, however you can be rest assured that it will not affect the fragrance or the burning of the candle.

Why is my candle is sweating?

Soy wax can sometimes release excess oil, especially when there have been excessive temperature changes.  Simply remove the excess oil using a paper towel.  This should not happen again after the initial burn, and will not affect the burning of your candle.

Burning Instructions

Soy wax has a melt pool 'memory'!  This means that you should always allow the candle to melt right to the edge of the container on it's very first burn.  Any subsequent burns will not go past the first melt pool, so if it wasn't allowed to melt to the edge you will create a tunnel down the centre of the candle.

It is important to store candles in a cool place, and away from direct sunlight.


Candle Safety Information

  • Failure to follow warning label instructions could result in fire or injury.
  • Never leave a burning candle unattended and keep lit candles out of the reach of children and pets.
  • Never burn your candle on or near anything flammable, or for more than 3-4 hours at a time.
  • Always burn candles on a stable, protected, heat-resistant surface or place on a heatproof plate.
  • The container will be hot once the candle has been lit.  Always allow the candle to cool before handling.
  • Do not burn in a draft. A draft may provide more oxygen to a flame which may cause a hotter, uneven burn.
  • Before each use, trim the wick to 1/4" (approx 5mm), and never move or re-light until flame is out and wax is completely solid. If the wick becomes too long while burning, extinguish flame before trimming.
  • Be sure to not over trim the wick. If the wick is too short it will result in too small of a flame and the melt pool will not reach the edges of the container.
  • Center the wick after each burn and do not allow trimmed wicks, matches or other objects to remain in the candle.
  • Never use container lid to put out flame.
  • Do not allow water or moisture to mix with the wax. This can cause the wax to splatter or pop.
  • Keep candles out of direct sunlight and do not store in temperatures over 80 degrees.
  • Always read all warning labels and remove any hang tags from around the candle container prior to burning.

Wax Melt Safety Instructions

Wax shots or melts are basically lumps of fragranced wax that do not have a wick like traditional candles.  They are designed to be used in appropriate oil burners or wax melters.  Our wax melts are suitable for both traditional burners that use tealights, as well as electric melters.

A number of oil burners that are available on the high street are not suitable for use with wax melts.  Please read the label carefully and only use melters which specifically state safe for use with wax.

To Use :- Simply remove from the pot or container and place in the top of your melter.  The wax will melt slowly in the dish as it heats up, and releases the fragrance.  When the tealight has been extinguished or the melter has been turned off, the wax will re-harden ready for use next time.  Unlike candles, the wax in melts will not evaporate.  You can re-use the wax a number of times, until the fragrance has gone completely.


Important :-

  • Keep melted wax away from children and pets.
  • Always use within sight, and never leave unattended.
  • Always ensure that you do not overfill your bowl
  • Wax will remain hot after the tealight has been extinguished / burner has been switched off.
  • Do not try to move the oil burner / wax melter until it has cooled completely and the wax has solidified.
  • Do not add water or fragrance oils to the bowl under any circumstances
  • Keep wax clear of debris
  • Only ever use unscented tealights .. fragranced tealights burn at a hotter temperature and can be a fire hazard
  • Only use standard sized tealights (burn time is approx 4hrs).  Never use the larger 8hr tealights! And never use more than 1!
  • Ensure that the surface under the melter is heatproof.
  • Do not eat!

Tips :-

  • When the fragrance has completely gone the best way to remove the wax from the bowl without spillages is to use cotton wool or kitchen roll.  Ensure the tealight has extinguished or you have turned the melter off. Allow the wax to cool slightly and simply pop a cotton wool ball or some tissue in the bowl.  This will soak up the melted wax.  Please dispose of carefully. 
  • DO NOT pour down the plughole (the wax will harden and cause a blockage)!! 
  • Give the bowl a wipe with a clean piece of kitchen roll to remove any left over residue, and the melter is ready to use again.